An industry cluster is defined as a concentration of companies and industries in a geographic region that are interconnected by the markets they serve and the products they produce, as well as their suppliers, trade associations and educational institutions.
Advance Central PA routinely analyzes industry clusters prevalent within Central Pennsylvania as compared to state and national trends.
Through Advance Central PA’s process of research, consensus building, and validation, the following industry clusters have been identified in Central Pennsylvania (Note: these industry clusters are based on the definitions provided by the Pennsylvania Department of Labor & Industry):
Wood, Wood Products, & Publishing
Economic Overview and Industry Profiles
Advance Central PA’s Economic overview report analyzes all industry sectors in Central Pennsylvania. The Industry Cluster Sheets examine Central Pennsylvania’s targeted industry cluster statistics, top five employing industries, job volume by county, the five most common occupations, and the most competitive industries.
Industry Cluster Sheets
If you do not find the information you need for a business plan, presentation, etc., please submit a request to the Advance Central PA Research Department. We can customize the information to meet your geographical and industrial needs.
Advance Central PA continues to focus its efforts on fully integrating industry cluster information into county and regional planning efforts and has been instrumental in helping the region by:
- Encouraging the creation of industry-led partnerships to identify common needs and appropriate strategies.
- Identifying demand occupations, essential skill sets, and training required by these industries today and in the future.
- Providing the information needed in Central Pennsylvania to align workforce, economic development, and educational resources in a manner that will allow for the maximum positive impact to retain and grow existing industry and to attract new opportunity.
- Offering the opportunity to engage the K-12 system, including Career and Technical Education, by forecasting the region’s key industries and the demand occupations of the future and communicating this information to parents, students, and educators.
- Allowing for more strategic targeting of private and public funds toward investment to provide the highest possible return for the region.